This was a project of many firsts for me: first time making my own chart, first time charting a custom font, first time making a pillow, first time finishing a project for a deadline (barely).
The stitching is done on 14ct Fiddler's cloth Aida, completely in black (DMC 310). If I knew what I was doing when it came to blogging and crafting, I would know what kind of cording and backing fabric I used, but alas, I do not.
I do know that my lovely Nana Dana (yes, we have the same name) came to the rescue and whipped up the pillow part in less than an hour. I did at least help cut out the pieces, figure out the construction, and pin the cord. If I had allowed myself more time than two hours to make the pillow, I would have learned how to use the sewing machine myself. We'll save that adventure for another day.
|Nana Dana hard at work|
|Back view of stitching|
One part of this project I found particularly interesting was charting a new font (i.e. a font that didn't come pre-packaged with my charting software, though it has a plethora). I did my best to make elements of the font consistent across all the letters, and though there are few issues, I think the overall product looks good.
Lesson learned: When doing cross stitch or other fine needlework, it is best to keep in mind that most people viewing the final product will not be viewing it from 6 inches away, so all those things that look like huge horrible mistakes to you are much less apparent than they seem.
Now I want to re-read The Importance of Being Earnest...